Branding is used for identifying ownership of cattle. Every ranch has a unique design, usually incorporating the initials of the owner or initial of the ranch. Grieb Ranch brand is a backwards G with an arrow underneath.
Fall calves were recently gathered at Grieb Ranch and driven to the branding area. In addition to branding the young cattle receive vaccinations and ear tags plus get looked over for any health issues. All procedures are done efficiently with the cattle’s best interests in mind.
Connie’s kitchen served as the stage for branding, ear tagging and vaccination prep.
Branding is a social affair with cowboy friends showing up early and staying late. Many hands make the work light. Local cowboys help each other out by lending their assistance and knowledge at each other’s branding events. So of course there is food to enjoy after all the work is done. This year the big hit was a Fruit Pizza presented by Jessica Willems.
Recipe for: Fruit Pizza
From the Kitchen of: Jessica Willems
- 1 package(18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Shape dough into ball. Place dough in center of round stone or pizza pan. Using lightly floured rolling pin, roll out dough to 12-inche circle, about ¼ inch think.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- 1 container of cream cheese frosting
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 batch of red and green grapes
- 1 small can mandarin oranges or 3 “cuties” peeled
- 1 pint blueberries
- Spread mixture evenly onto top of cookie.
- Starting at the outer edge of the pizza edge place strawberry halves, next a row of red grapes, a row of mandarin orange slices, next blueberries, then a row of green grapes and in the center a design made with strawberry halves.
- Cut dessert with pizza cutter.
- Pizza pan or cookie sheet
- Paring knives
- Medium bowl
- Cutting board
Grieb Ranch appreciates all helping hands at the branding from 1 year to 91 years.