In 1975 Barbara wrote a note to her daughter Connie and included this recipe for Jello Ribbon Salad. “A half recipe would be plenty. Honey the first time I made it, it seemed like it took all day. It gets more fun each time I make it because it is our special salad. How neat to share it with you and your family for your first special Thanksgiving away from home. Love Mom, Happy Thanksgiving.”
I Thessalonians 5:18 In everything give thanks; . . .
2014 – The Grieb family has enjoyed this salad every Thanksgiving and Christmas for all these years.
Recipe for: Jello Ribbon Salad
From the Kitchen of: Barbara Grieb
2 (3 oz.) pkgs. Lime flavor gelatin
5 cups hot water
4 cups cold water
1 (3 oz.) pkgs. Lemon gelatin
½ cup Mini Marshmallows, cut up
1 cup Pineapple Juice (from the crushed pineapple)
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 (1 lb. 4oz.) can crushed pineapple
1 cup heavy whipping cream (whipped)- I cheat and use already-whipped whip cream
1 cup mayonnaise
2 (3 oz.) Pkgs. of Cherry gelatin
1. Dissolve Lime gelatin in 2 cups hot water and then add 2 cups cold water. Pour into a 14x10x2 pan or into 3 jello molds; filling each mold 1/3 full.
2. Chill until partly set.
3. Dissolve Lemon gelatin in double boiler in 1 cup hot water.
4. Add marshmallows and stir to melt.
5. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup drained Pineapple Juice and cream cheese.
6. Beat until well blended and stir in Pineapple.
7. Cool slightly. Fold in whip cream and mayonnaise. Chill until thickened.
8. Pour over Lime gelatin. Chill until almost set.
9. Dissolve Cherry gelatin in 2 cups hot water and then add 2 cups cold water. Chill until almost set.
10.Pour over Lemon filling.