We process the entire beef cow. Each carcass provides about 27 lbs of variety meat: liver, heart, tongue, tripe, sweetbreads & brains.
We, at Grieb Ranch, keep these special variety meats – heart, tongue and liver – for that once a year special treat. Because liver has a texture and flavor all its own we always cook it with bacon and onions and serve it with mashed potatoes, and green peas.
Recipe for: Liver, Onions and Bacon
From the Kitchen of: Connie Grieb Willems Servings: 5
6 strips of bacon
1 lb thin Sliced liver ½ inch thick or less
½ onion thinly sliced
Salt & pepper
- Cook Bacon in pan until half done.
- As the bacon is cooking coat each piece of liver with flour and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the thin liver slices under the bacon.
- Add thin onion slices to pan and cook to carmelize.
- Cook on medium high heat until the liver is cooked through. When the juices in the liver slices rise to the top on one side flip to the other side.*
*Avoid over cooking, which toughens liver.
Serve with mashed potatoes and peas.